2010-06-17

The Wind in the Willows

The Wind in the Willows (Penguin Classics)The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame

Recently I went to my parents home and found my childhood library.  It made me feel so nostalgic that  I brought some books to read again.

As far as I remember, The Wind in the Willows is my mother's book.  I who was very hungry for reading made it my own.  However, The Wind in the Willows wasn't very interesting for the child who just learned to read.  Dr. Dolittle series are stained very much by cake crumbs or inexplicable fingerprints but The Wind in the Willows is comparatively clean.

This book is a classic children book of England whose story of Mole, Rat, Bader and Toad.  I thought that it's obviously for children that animals speak words.

As I read the Wind in the Willows after growing up, I realized that it isn't only for children book.  It's a song in praise of country life.  I can image the ideal riverside life of England.  At the same time, I can feel author's love for small animals.  Small animals can hear the nature voice under the care of the guardian of nature.  The beautiful countryside view can spin poems.  I found out that I couldn't have grabbed the poetic words in the book as a child.

Beautiful story.  I want to go to the country in summer of England.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails