2010-05-11

Prisoner's Dilemma

Prisoner's DilemmaI read Prisoner's Dilemma written by Richard Powers.  I think that the book binding of Japanese edition is better than the original one.

While reading this, I thought of September 11.   I imagined that the author was evoked by September 11.  However, I noticed it's written before September 11.

The story is mixed with many matters of history and fiction.  Honestly I didn't know perfectly well which is true or fiction.  At least, I know internment of Japanese American during World War 2.  As well, I know that Walt Disney made propaganda movies.  And the others I know are Enola Gay, Fat Man and Los Alamos Laboratory etc,.

The theme of this novel is trust and peace.  Mass icon is Mickey Mouse (or, Walt Disney).  Personal icon is Daddy of Hobson family.  The both of biography is overlapped in parallel.  The both get very involved in World War 2.  The war is the one of history but it's also a personal incident.  Daddy, Eddie Hobson, has something beyond himself but his wife, sons and daughters cannot touch to it by being evaded family's questions.  During World War 2, Eddie Hobson tried to proceed to get something better.  At the same time, so did Walt Disney.  Eddie Hobson goes through life with conflict after the war.  But I think that the conflict might be a public matter like Mickey Mouse.  Eddie Hobson would be better if he can spit it out.  But he doesn't do it.

I couldn't stop reading because I expected Daddy's puzzle was going to be settled somewhere. The parallel structure of the novel compels readers' attention such as mystery.  This novel isn't easy to read because it's a long story and included many cultural experiences of old American.  Japanese edition has many well-written footnotes about those American culture.  Sometimes they interrupted me but very very helpful.  I think that young American people need the footnotes, too.

This is a very good novel that should be read by more people.

Prisoner's DilemmaPrisoner's Dilemma

Harper Perennial 1996-05-22
Sales Rank : 147972
Average Review

See details at Amazon by G-Tools

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails